This 15th century Iroquoian village features three re-constructed longhouses and numerous artefact that bring light into the lives of the early settlers. From 1973 to 1987, excavations uncovered 11 longhouses on the site and various artefacts from day-to-day lives of the pre-contact First Nations groups.
The first prehistoric village in the eastern woodland area of North America to be accurately dated, this archaeological site has revealed much about Iroquoian agriculture.
A study of sediment collected from Crawford Lake in 1971 lead to discovery of the site. A small, deep body of water, this meromictic lake has limited circulation and little oxygen below the 12-metre level, ensuring the preservation of annual deposits of sediment in undisturbed layers called varves. Analysis of their pollen content showed vegetational changes in the area over time and a concentration of corn pollen, dated 1434-59, suggested the existence of an Indian village nearby.
In 1973 this site was located. Excavations undertaken here during the following decade confirmed that native agriculturalists contributed substantially to the region's changing environment.
Beautiful trails that surround the lake and the area around can be walked all year round. The loops are long and short and connect to the Bruce Trail.
Photography Mik Herman